Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Centre Medical Saint Vincent-DRC


Here is an excerpt from an update that James sent out about his recent trip back to the DRC.
Enjoy!

"...Thanks for your prayers during my recent trip to the DRC. I arrived back in Michigan as scheduled Friday evening after a very interesting and challenging trip. God once again proved His faithfulness in times of uncertainty and confusion.
Air travel was a challenge with delayed flights and mechanical problems, but all 6 boxes arrived with me - a miracle in itself!
I had the privilege of traveling with a doctor from Ohio, the founder of Project Congo. "S" was accompanied by her college-age daughter and a friend who is a nurse. The ladies and I stayed at a hostel in Bukavu DRC, and traveled each day to the St. Vincent Medical Center where I worked in the lab while the others saw and treated patients. Each day brought challenging medical cases where God used their skills to touch many people.








I was able to train 2 of the Congolese doctors on the new lab equipment. They will now be the trainers of the rest of the lab staff. A new room was built on to the existing building to house the new lab. It was bright, open, and clean - a vast contrast to the rest of the facility!





There was an official opening of the new lab on Tuesday, June 24. The local TV station was there to cover the event - and it truly was an event! They asked me to officially "cut the ribbon" that was across the door. I was also asked to give a speech and present my students with their certificates. God enabled me to do this in grammatically correct French! We saw the news later that evening and saw ourselves on TV. Quite unusual for our trips.







On Wed of the second week, we boarded a passenger ferry at Bukavu on Lake Kivu for a 6.5 hour trip to Goma DRC. There are no passable roads between the 2 cities, so the lake passage was our only choice. The name of the vessel was "Emmanuel". How appropriate - "God with us". He gave us safe passage across the lake - even though we were told of a similar boat that had recently gone down with the loss of many lives. Our Congolese hosts were concerned for our safety after this news, but God was truly with us!
Once in Goma, we were taken to the Dom Bosco school and clinic where I was able to repair some equipment that was installed there a number of years ago by WWLAB, but had been damaged in the recent civil war in that area of the DRC. I only spent one night there, but was blessed by the hospitality of a group of priests who administer the organization.
On Thursday morning, I crossed the border into Rwanda to begin my journey home. The authorities at the border were reluctant to give me a transit visa. Some of you were alerted to this, and prayed. God answered! After much discussion and waiting it out, I was in a taxi on my way to Kigali airport. The drive through the Rwandan hills was truly spectacular. Such a beautiful country with such a violent history. My driver was playing a CD of Swahili hymns. Even though I didn't understand the words, the familiar melodies brought the English lyrics to mind, and were a great encouragement to me. The first song that was playing when I got in the vehicle was "He Leadeth Me". Coincidence?? I think not!
The flights home were long, but did not require running through airports to make connections like on the way there!
Thanks again for your prayers and support. God truly answered and continues to teach me many things as we serve at WWLAB..."

Serving Together


James

No comments:

Post a Comment