Monday, September 2, 2013

ELWA Hospital, Monrovia Liberia.

James returned safely from ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa) Hospital on Saturday, August 31st.
Here are a few reflections from James regarding his trip:

 I was pleasantly surprised to find that the ELWA Compound is built right on the ocean. This is the view from the front door of the SIM Guest House. It was great to meet other SIM missionaries. It was a privilege to get to know them better through their hospitality and fellowship.


 My first day involved checking their equipment to begin cleaning and repairing it. You can see that it had been many years since these machines had been opened!

Once their present instruments had been repaired, we began training on the new ELISA methodology and instrumentation. They were eager students, and learned quickly.

We spent a great deal of time going over the importance of quality control. Hopefully they will remember and put it into practice.

My 6 students received their certificates on Friday morning. I felt like a celebrity with all the cameras and pictures that were being taken. They love their digital cameras! Pictured with the lab group is Dr. Debbie Eisenhut, my liaison with ELWA Hospital who is also an SIM missionary.

*B's formal Lab graduation took place on Friday afternoon. He was able to spend some time with us on Friday morning before the ceremony. During that time, the lab presented me with a special shirt from Liberia as a token of their appreciation. I even wore it home on the plane.


On my last day I had a tour of the hospital. This is the OR (Operating Room). Conditions are very challenging for the staff. A new hospital is currently being built on the ELWA campus. They hope that WWLAB can come back in a couple of years to install equipment in their new lab.

Thank you for your continued prayers as I traveled to Monrovia, Liberia. The flights were long and tiring, but God was faithful and kept me healthy throughout the week. I am thankful that God has opened up this opportunity for me to use my gifts to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment